What's new

AW The Ghost of Ashville: Act 1

All welcome

LittleWasp

Reaction score
"I guess that's a good thing," Wendy laughed at the orb's response, smiling at Josie. "Yeah, sure! So long as we do more than just ask this thing dumb questions, or else I will get you exiled." She was already walking in the direction of Josie's place as she spoke, peering back over her shoulder at them.

Lijosu

Prince of Mind
Reaction score
"Uh. Yeah. Sure." They put the orb back in the bag.

Josie walked behind Wendy, but was already lost in thought. "That was no coincidence. Well, okay maybe it was. I need to create astronomical odds. I should find a situation which is truly impossible and see if this thing predicts it. But if I ask if something impossible will happen it might just say "no"... And I can only ask it yes or no questions. That puts out rolling a whole bunch of dice... Or gambling. Maybe I can ask it "Heads?" then flip a coin. That would be a 25% chance that it gets it correct if I retry when it is indecisive and if "Yes" is as likely as "No", though, which is too high. I would have to repeat that many times and observe for patterns."

LittleWasp

Reaction score
Wendy said little for the duration of the walk, smiling to herself as she lead the way, blissfully unaware of Josie's intense calculations. It was probably for the best that she didn't know, lest she put on even more of a show of terminal dismay and fatigue for her friend. Finally, they came to a stop at Josie's, where Wendy stood to one side of the front door and waited patiently for her friend to open it. She noticed the look of intense concentration on their face and took in a deep breath. Oh boy, she thought to herself. What on earth are they thinking about?

P0rcelain

Houdini Star Queen
Reaction score
Ọya had taken her smartcom out of her pocket shortly after the two had left. Store policy demanded devices not be used on-shift, but it was more of a formality when there are customers in the store. She flicked a stray strand of hair out of her eye with a hand, then used it to unlock her phone. She clicked the button twice and accidentally relocked it. She unlocked it again, this time making sure to click it only once. The screen was still dark. She groaned and started touching the screen in random places until she remembered how to turn the brightness up. The excess light immediately made her sensitive eyes squint. She turned it back down a little.

Why was it that everyone else seemed to have no trouble using these things whatsoever, while she struggled with them in a perpetual cycle of technological illiteracy? She did not even remember when she last turned the brightness down. It was probably in the dead of night or something. Ọya scrolled her way through her software until she found the culprit of the notification. Some social media service she downloaded and made an account for at some acquaintances whim. She never used it or really cared to use it.

Lijosu

Prince of Mind
Reaction score
Ọya had taken her smartcom out of her pocket shortly after the two had left. Store policy demanded devices not be used on-shift, but it was more of a formality when there are customers in the store. She flicked a stray strand of hair out of her eye with a hand, then used it to unlock her phone. She clicked the button twice and accidentally relocked it. She unlocked it again, this time making sure to click it only once. The screen was still dark. She groaned and started touching the screen in random places until she remembered how to turn the brightness up. The excess light immediately made her sensitive eyes squint. She turned it back down a little.

Why was it that everyone else seemed to have no trouble using these things whatsoever, while she struggled with them in a perpetual cycle of technological illiteracy? She did not even remember when she last turned the brightness down. It was probably in the dead of night or something. Ọya scrolled her way through her software until she found the culprit of the notification. Some social media service she downloaded and made an account for at some acquaintances whim. She never used it or really cared to use it.

Stay_Dead!{}={}: Sisyphus Mesánychta

The only message Ọya had received, from an account she didn't recognize. It stood looming over an empty message history, daring to be prodded. The name this mysterious individual had posted to her was unfamiliar, yet expected on Ereshkigal. Looking at the message, Ọya was becoming increasingly aware of a sensation that had crept up on her. A feeling she had on reflection, felt since before Wendy and Josie had walked into the service station. The feeling that she was being watched.

Wendy said little for the duration of the walk, smiling to herself as she lead the way, blissfully unaware of Josie's intense calculations. It was probably for the best that she didn't know, lest she put on even more of a show of terminal dismay and fatigue for her friend. Finally, they came to a stop at Josie's, where Wendy stood to one side of the front door and waited patiently for her friend to open it. She noticed the look of intense concentration on their face and took in a deep breath. Oh boy, she thought to herself. What on earth are they thinking about?

Josie said nothing as they approached the door, then swiped their key over the building's lock. After the signature "click", they perked up and opened the door by the handle.

"How has work been?" They idled as they stepped into their abode with authority.

They immediately took off their mother's scarf and gloves, placing them back on the rack where they had found them.

P0rcelain

Houdini Star Queen
Reaction score
She watched the screen as a wolf watches a new animal prance into its territory. Her sense of hearing became acute as she subconsciously began scanning her surroundings. Wind blowing outside, a gentle trickle of rain. Then, the things that no resident of this town should be able to hear. The electronic buzzing and zapping of lights and machines inside the building. The skirmish of two small, strange creatures over a handful of grains. The low growl of some sentinel-like creature watching everything all around it.

Ọya did not hear anything that would be watching her. Perhaps it was an irrational fear from being alone in the building. It was a feasible fear for her to have accumulated. She began typing, the quiet; gentle and simulated cli-clacking of her smartcom a piercing cacophony compared to the noises of the animals outside.

Hash_Minus: ..You have the wrong person, friend
Hash_Minus: I have never known a 'Mesánychta'

She was a slow and clunky typist, but she was proud of her work. These replies struck her as awfully professional, with a hint of camaraderie. She especially liked how the two dots made her look concerned but not judgemental.

Last edited:

LittleWasp

Reaction score
"Feh," was Wendy's response, immediately looking tired at the mention of work, and waved a hand dismissively. "Just work." She followed Josie into the building, closing the door behind her and waiting patiently as her friend removed their warm garments.

Lijosu

Prince of Mind
Reaction score
Ọya did not hear anything that would be watching her. Perhaps it was an irrational fear from being alone in the building. It was a feasible fear for her to have accumulated. She began typing, the quiet; gentle and simulated cli-clacking of her smartcom a piercing cacophony compared to the noises of the animals outside.

Hash_Minus: ..You have the wrong person, friend
Hash_Minus: I have never known a 'Mesánychta'

She was a slow and clunky typist, but she was proud of her work. These replies struck her as awfully professional, with a hint of camaraderie. She especially liked how the two dots made her look concerned but not judgemental.
There was an oddity that even the acute may have missed or dismissed; The program did not show to Ọya that her unknown accomplice was typing.

Stay_Dead!{}={}: It is certain.
Stay_Dead!{}={}: He is dead now.
Stay_Dead!{}={}: All of them are dead.
Stay_Dead!{}={}: Except for one of them.

Last edited:

P0rcelain

Houdini Star Queen
Reaction score
Unfamiliar with this particular software, Ọya did not notice the distinct lack of typing. Instead of that, she was fixated on the mannerisms and subject matter of this stranger. Although no one was in the station to see it, her face shifted subtly; her eyebrows furrowed the tiniest amount. She was a little more serious - at least, than she usually was.

Hash_Minus
: I do not take commissions.
Hash_Minus: Actually I have retired,, Good Day to You.

It was her assumption that this person had somehow unearthed something and was looking for "services". Perhaps worse, or perhaps it was some child who thought they were funny. The children in this town seemed a little less disciplined than she was used to, especially over their electronics, so it would be feasible to her. Due to this, she was deliberately vague and obfuscating with her choice of wording. Ọya had thrown in a phrase she had learned at the end of the message, hoping to ease any frustration of the mysterious messager, and perhaps get them off her back for long enough that she could figure out who they were.

This was not her first rodeo. She would not be messing around.

Lijosu

Prince of Mind
Reaction score
"Feh," was Wendy's response, immediately looking tired at the mention of work, and waved a hand dismissively. "Just work." She followed Josie into the building, closing the door behind her and waiting patiently as her friend removed their warm garments.
With the obligatory small talk out of the way, Josie immediately pivoted to more casual discussion.

"By the way, last night I saw this Breptotep combo in a video that was so nasty. I think it was something like, shield into grab into down-throw then B-air and uppercut. I checked the frames and I think it was 2 on start up, but you have to counter an attack first. It's downright silly."

They were talking about a game they frequently played together, "Mega-Thrashfriends". Josie was the sort to watch a lot of skilled players over the web, but in truth, didn't have much skill to back up their research. It was a common occurence for the two to spontaneously slip into a ludicrous series of technobabble phrases out of no where, discussing the game with each other unprompted.

LittleWasp

Reaction score
With the obligatory small talk out of the way, Josie immediately pivoted to more casual discussion.

"By the way, last night I saw this Breptotep combo in a video that was so nasty. I think it was something like, shield into grab into down-throw then B-air and uppercut. I checked the frames and I think it was 2 on start up, but you have to counter an attack first. It's downright silly."

They were talking about a game they frequently played together, "Mega-Thrashfriends". Josie was the sort to watch a lot of skilled players over the web, but in truth, didn't have much skill to back their research up. It was a common occurence for the two to spontaneously slip into a ludicrous series of technobabble phrases out of no where, discussing the game with each other unprompted.
"Uh-huh? Grab throw-down B uppercut. That sounds easy to memorise." Wendy replied in a distracted tone. It was unclear if she had genuinely misheard the combo or if she was just being cheeky. "Doesn't matter, anyway. You know I don't play trash-level characters, Josie." She gives her friend a sidelong grin. "My one love will always be Gippi. Her 'snabblegrap' move is just too good. If it makes the pros cry, I'm all over it."

Lijosu

Prince of Mind
Reaction score
Josie frowned. "Oh yeah? Well Gippi isn't that strong anyway, she's just Brepto.'s hard-counter."

A smirk crept through the frown. "But you know, I bet I could beat your Gippi if I mastered this combo."

They began walking up the stairs with a false air of smugness, hands in pockets. Wendy and Josie both knew the reality that Josie couldn't beat Wendy when she played as Gippi. The character had too many gimmicky moves that Josie struggled to avoid. Though, perhaps if there was anything that could break the losing streak, it would be a a combination of moves started by a simple block. Maybe. Probably not though.

Unfamiliar with this particular software, Ọya did not notice the distinct lack of typing. Instead of that, she was fixated on the mannerisms and subject matter of this stranger. Although no one was in the station to see it, her face shifted subtly; her eyebrows furrowed the tiniest amount. She was a little more serious - at least, than she usually was.

Hash_Minus: I do not take commissions.
Hash_Minus: Actually I have retired,, Good Day to You.

It was her assumption that this person had somehow unearthed something and was looking for "services". Perhaps worse, or perhaps it was some child who thought they were funny. The children in this town seemed a little less disciplined than she was used to, especially over their electronics, so it would be feasible to her. Due to this, she was deliberately vague and obfuscating with her choice of wording. Ọya had thrown in a phrase she had learned at the end of the message, hoping to ease any frustration of the mysterious messager, and perhaps get them off her back for long enough that she could figure out who they were.

This was not her first rodeo. She would not be messing around.

Stay_Dead!{}={}: You are an artist? Now I know.
Stay_Dead!{}={}: I am not looking for services, I am merely a humble merchant selling my wares.
Stay_Dead!{}={}: If you would so oblige, I have many things that I could sell to you. Would you like a lucky break? A friend perchance? No, wait, do not tell me. Are you looking for Sisyphus too?

LittleWasp

Reaction score
"We shall see, Josie!" Wendy called from the bottom of the stairs with an exaggerated tone of defiance, arms folded over her chest. "We. Shall. See!" After standing dramatically for a few more seconds, she hurried up the stairs after her friend with a big grin on her face, eager to play.

goblinpartmaker

Reaction score
Josie frowned. "Oh yeah? Well Gippi isn't that strong anyway, she's just Brepto.'s hard-counter."

A smirk crept through the frown. "But you know, I bet I could beat your Gippi if I mastered this combo."

They began walking up the stairs with a false air of smugness, hands in pockets. Wendy and Josie both knew the reality that Josie couldn't beat Wendy when she played as Gippi. The character had too many gimmicky moves that Josie struggled to avoid. Though, perhaps if there was anything that could break the losing streak, it would be a a combination of moves started by a simple block. Maybe. Probably not though.

Stay_Dead!{}={}: I am not looking for services, I am merely a humble merchant selling my wares.
Stay_Dead!{}={}: If you would so oblige, I have many things that I could sell to you. Would you like a lucky break? A friend perchance? No, wait, do not tell me. Are you looking for Sisyphus too?
At this moment the automatic doors to the service station slide open with the usual squeak and a gust of humid air. Through the doors the chilling breeze carries a voice, the harmonious, mid-pitched voice of a woman talking on her smartcom.
"Yes, we found him." A pause as she walks in, her tall, solid frame stands out amongst the low shelves full of stock. A well-tailored double-breasted trench coat covers her torso.
"He's in the car, we'll take him over soon." Found who? What odd timing, to overhear this conversation at the same time as the message from this stranger.
The woman, her piercing lime coloured eyes now scanning the shelves, is recognizable; she visits this store quite often actually. Her name is Ires and is the type of customer who always seems to have something to say, even about things as trivial as the weather (god forbid), or how busy the place has been.
That is to say, Ires Mahakali is a friendly person, and she is now approaching the service counter, eyes locked on Ọya, with a small selection of products in her arms.

Last edited:

P0rcelain

Houdini Star Queen
Reaction score
At this moment the automatic doors to the service station slide open with the usual squeak and a gust of humid air. Through the doors the stifling breeze carries a voice, the harmonious, mid-pitched voice of a woman talking on her smartcom.
"Yes, we found him." A pause as she walks in, her tall, solid frame stands out amongst the low shelves full of stock. A well-tailored double-breasted trench coat covers her torso.
"He's in the car, we'll take him over soon." Found who? What odd timing, to overhear this conversation at the same time as the message from this stranger.
The woman, her piercing lime coloured eyes now scanning the shelves, is recognizable; she visits this store quite often actually. Her name is Ires and is the type of customer who always seems to have something to say, even about things as trivial as the weather (god forbid), or how busy the place has been.
That is to say, Ires Mahakali is a friendly person, and she is now approaching the service counter, eyes locked on Ọya, with a small selection of products in her arms.
Ọya puzzled over this strange flurry of responses, but reacted immediately to the doors opening. She swiped a finger over the screen and tapped a few times, putting the device into 'Do Not Disturb' mode before switching it off and pocketing it again. She took professionalism very seriously, and liked that Ires at least seemed to do the same. Small talk might be abysmal, but small talk that sounds vaguely business-like... It is still pretty terrible but it does by the least, look cool.

"What kind of work have you found yourself in?" She perked monotonously. Having heard those phrases from Mahakali brought to memory simpler days. When social etiquette made sense and the biggest thing on her mind was how to get her next meal. Though to others that excitement may have been hard to detect, or mistaken as being taken off guard by the sudden entry. "I never did ask."

Lijosu

Prince of Mind
Reaction score
"We shall see, Josie!" Wendy called from the bottom of the stairs with an exaggerated tone of defiance, arms folded over her chest. "We. Shall. See!" After standing dramatically for a few more seconds, she hurried up the stairs after her friend with a big grin on her face, eager to play.

Having raced upstairs, the two engaged in a plethora of young-adult shenanigans spurred on by their playful gaming fit. Much sweaty button mashing was had, and bedroom contortionism in a desperate attempt to simultaneously be comfortable and gain some sort of silly advantage in one's sitting position while competing in their game. At one point both Josie and Wendy were playing upside down and another a controller had been used while behind one's head.

Despite the ridiculous arms race of sitting, Josie had made no real improvement in beating Wendy's go-to gladiator. In fact the combo they spoke of had only been performed successfully once, which prompted a fair bit of short lived awe and "OOOOHH"ing. After some time, the two found themselves having been thoroughly worn out.

LittleWasp

Reaction score
Having raced upstairs, the two engaged in a plethora of young-adult shenanigans spurred on by their playful gaming fit. Much sweaty button mashing was had, and bedroom contortionism in a desperate attempt to simultaneously be comfortable and gain some sort of silly advantage in one's sitting position while competing in their game. At one point both Josie and Wendy were playing upside down and another a controller had been used while behind one's head.

Despite the ridiculous arms race of sitting, Josie had made no real improvement in beating Wendy's go-to gladiator. In fact the combo they spoke of had only been performed successfully once, which prompted a fair bit of short lived awe and "OOOOHH"ing. After some time, the two found themselves having been thoroughly worn out.

Wendy was splayed across a beanbag with her glasses barely perched on her nose, smiling to herself after having won their final match against each other. She stretched out her limbs with a groan, pushed her glasses back to a secure position, and sat up with some effort. "Aah... Gippy, my love." she said out loud with faux wistfulness, as if she were speaking about her crush, then gave Josie a big grin. "That was fun. Do you wanna get something to eat now, or...?"

Lijosu

Prince of Mind
Reaction score
Wendy was splayed across a beanbag with her glasses barely perched on her nose, smiling to herself after having won their final match against each other. She stretched out her limbs with a groan, pushed her glasses back to a secure position, and sat up with some effort. "Aah... Gippy, my love." she said out loud with faux wistfulness, as if she were speaking about her crush, then gave Josie a big grin. "That was fun. Do you wanna get something to eat now, or...?"

Josie was looking dejected after so many defeats, but it was in good fun. They looked away from Gippy's victory screen that was still playing in front of the two, and towards Wendy.

"Well, what did you have in mind?" Josie asked curiously, assuming that she meant to go somewhere local to eat.

LittleWasp

Reaction score
Josie was looking dejected after so many defeats, but it was in good fun. They looked away from Gippy's victory screen that was still playing in front of the two, and towards Wendy.

"Well, what did you have in mind?" Josie asked curiously, assuming that she meant to go somewhere local to eat.
Wendy blinked, pausing briefly in confusion before responding. "I dunno. What have you got in your fridge?" she asked. "I guess we could order something to be delivered instead, though." She shrugged her shoulders and smiled.

Lijosu

Prince of Mind
Reaction score
Wendy blinked, pausing briefly in confusion before responding. "I dunno. What have you got in your fridge?" she asked. "I guess we could order something to be delivered instead, though." She shrugged her shoulders and smiled.
"OH," Josie replied, "you meant-"

Their palm had raised and made acoustic contact with their forehead. "I thought you meant 'out'. Let's just raid the fridge, then."

The rest of the day was uneventful for the pair. They made their way to the kitchen downstairs, ate some sandwiches with rather dubious Ereshkigan ingredients, mostly in awkward silence. And then, Wendy thanked Josie for the outing and left. What Josie then did after her departure was something Wendy may not had been ecstatic about. They immediately turned their attention to the shopping bag of gum and took out the toy they had "purchased". They sat on their bed in the far end of their bedroom and laid their smart comm on the bedside table, recovered a commemorative coin from the recesses of their room, then got to work.

They opened a spreadsheet editing application on their smart comm and began creating a table. It had four columns: "Positive", "Negative", "Indecisive" and "Result". Josie then held the desk toy upside down, and asked it a simple question:

"Will this coin land on heads?"

Josie turned it right-side up and the orb issued its decree...