What's new

AW The Ghost of Ashville: Act 1

All welcome

goblinpartmaker

Reaction score
Ọya puzzled over this strange flurry of responses, but reacted immediately to the doors opening. She swiped a finger over the screen and tapped a few times, putting the device into 'Do Not Disturb' mode before switching it off and pocketing it again. She took professionalism very seriously, and liked that Ires at least seemed to do the same. Small talk might be abysmal, but small talk that sounds vaguely business-like... It is still pretty terrible but it does by the least, look cool.

"What kind of work have you found yourself in?" She perked monotonously. Having heard those phrases from Mahakali brought to memory simpler days. When social etiquette made sense and the biggest thing on her mind was how to get her next meal. Though to others that excitement may have been hard to detect, or mistaken as being taken off guard by the sudden entry. "I never did ask."
Ires places her gathered products on the counter, allowing Ọya to begin scanning them. She continues the conversation in a cordial tone,
"Oh, you know. Stuff around the neighbourhood. I'm off to work after this." She rummages through her handbag for her wallet pre-emptively.
"What about you Ọya? Busy today?" She wears a smile that looks almost fake. Sarcastic maybe? She glances outside at an empty street, holding her wallet tightly by her side.

P0rcelain

Houdini Star Queen
Reaction score
Ires places her gathered products on the counter, allowing Ọya to begin scanning them. She continues the conversation in a cordial tone,
"Oh, you know. Stuff around the neighbourhood. I'm off to work after this." She rummages through her handbag for her wallet pre-emptively.
"What about you Ọya? Busy today?" She wears a smile that looks almost fake. Sarcastic maybe? She glances outside at an empty street, holding her wallet tightly by her side.
Ọya frowned. "How busy am I meant to be? On a busy day this work is moving my arms slightly faster." She thought. She felt discontent in herself and tried her best to ignore it quickly.

"Yes, clearly." She said with heavy sarcasm.

She distracted herself with thoughts about the home she had because of this job while she scanned Ires' items. The bed of a queen, food leagues above travel rations, and her shower. Ao Kaiyō, that shower. Ọya loved showers more than anything. Still, a small hint of her dissatisfaction lingered. She sensed something that used to be in her that was still in Ires. She allowed her curiosity to get the better of her usual judgement.

"I used to be 'about', you know. I used to be in this good of a shape for a reason." Ọya let that statement hang in the air, although without her realizing it, her tone was odd. It sounded similar to an old woman making a futile attempt to connect with youth. Or perhaps just a retired, foreign veteran of some kind making a tired remark. Her overall weirdness made it a difficult thing to read.

goblinpartmaker

Reaction score
...There it is again. This isn't the first time Ọya was... well, odd. Ires had always felt an affinity for this store clerk. However, at times like these there was clearly something different about them.
Experience perhaps? Ires scans Ọya's face as she smiles and nods, an invitation to continue.

That's unlikely. She can't be that old. But the possibility is there... Best not to think to deep into it. What's this about being 'about' then?

Ires' mind wanders to her "previous job." She's happy working at the bar in Hiranyagharba now, but it wasn't all bad in the past.
No. It was very bad. I'm finally out here. I'm not going back. Realizing she had let her mind wander, Ires returns her attention to the lady in front of her.

P0rcelain

Houdini Star Queen
Reaction score
She was looking at Ires still. Her face deadpan and expressionless. Her eyes had widened more than usual, as she stared Ires in her own. A subtlety was in the air at that moment. A feeling that no one else would be able to feel even if others were present in the service station. Ọya lifted her chin quickly in a short little nod. Somehow, the strangeness was unveiled. It became clear. What Ires was thinking: 'It wasn't all bad in the past.', 'No. It was very bad.', 'I'm not going back.' These were the exact thoughts Ọya was thinking too. Complicated thoughts. Of service. Honour perhaps? But above all others: Escape.

What did she escape from? When? How?

With that. The strangeness returned, but at least it was not external. A human being stood opposite of Ires. She was a service station attendant, and she was done scanning items.

"Eleven fifty. Would you like a bag." She tilted her head sharply, gesturing to the scanned products.