What's new

Vexations of a youth: The State of Affairs

[TAP]ThatAsianPlayer

Friendly Radical LDP (totally not anarchist)
Reaction score
Federal Republic of Malayka
Hassan
Year: XXXX
City of Kamaynilad

Years before the Federal Republic of Huzar was formed

-------------------------------------------------------------

“You have now arrived at: Congressional Hill”, “You have now arrived at: Congressional Hill”, “Ya has llegado a: Congressional Hill”, “Nakarating ka na ngayon sa: Congressional Hill”

The speaker on the train would say as it comes to a stop. The doors open, letting a sea of people come out of the train and walk onto the platform. It was just a normal day. A normal somewhat cloudy yet sunny day that people go through.

Yet what was normal had adjoined the not-so-normal. Protesters sitting in the station resting their bodies after another day of protesting the government’s action. Signs are all such a blur in a sea of advocacy that seems to not go anywhere. From kids to their parents, elementary to college students, the elderly, and such. This has been the scene at Congressional Hill for months.

Yet for some, they are unphased as they only live nearby or just walk on to mind their own business. Some just drop a coin here or there, maybe a bill to an impoverished protester, whatever that may help them. Others just already starving away to death, only sleeping off to the looseness of an empty stomach and a mind deprived of its needs. Some just watch the television program on the station’s TV as something to keep their mind on before someone from the government’s aid agencies arrives to feed them. The national flag just hanging on the ceiling as a symbol of the nation, but it seems everyone doesn’t care.

Outside of the station, it was just a wave of people, makeshift housing, protesters sitting outside of government buildings close or even just in front of the lands of the congress. However, some of them just went off to go to the older houses that have been there for years for they lived there. Others just went off to work at the Congress.

At the entrance of the Congress, the nation’s legislature and what had let this Republic’s people in some capacity. It was turned into a fortress of some capacity. A security checkpoint that looked more intensive than the old stop-and-check post the guards had. Military and Police officers just sat outside pretty much watching the people outside who stood across them or even beside them as they just sat in protest or were starving and much more. The scanners and the handheld scanners alongside x-ray machines and some pat downs were the norm to get in. After that long process, you were on the grounds but not inside the building yet which had the same amount of security.

It would take a while, however, at least you’d make it in after those two security checkpoints. The halls of the Congress looking like the country is in a state of war. Yet when you think about it, no one has declared war and there is no invading force coming over or even something remotely causing chaos. No instead the situation was just one of preparation.
“Congressman Singson, is he here?” A person would ask at the lobby. “Ah yes, he should be at his office.” The lobby person would say before the person would say thanks and leave to head to the office. It would take a bit of a walk in the hallways but once there the door would be opened.

“Ah Rixian, welcome, I didn’t expect you to arrive this early.” The congressman would greet the young person as he would offer a seat at the front of his desk. “How is being the congressional representative to the university so far.” he would ask as he’d offer a drink of whiskey.

“Not too bad but still the situation is going to get worse. You’ve seen what it looks like getting to Congress, the station itself is filled with protesters of various people.” they would say as they would reject the offer of a drink. “Some of the students right after their classes join in to camp with the protesters and refugees outside. Especially since conditions are only getting worse by the day thanks to that war.”

“.....I know, but none of us can do anything about it.” The Congressman would say as he would look down and then directly at Rixian. “If anything the best we can do is try and maintain what we can domestically and even that’s proven hard with the climate fuckery going on. Our neutral status has left both powers to think twice about invading us for we might join one side or the other, but it also ended up creating a semi-blockade that is choking our supply bit by bit. If things don’t improve we might-”

“I know, not the greatest idea. The fact that we can’t do much about the refugees either makes it worse. I’ve heard that more refugees from the Confederation are coming over. Do you think we can handle this anymore?” Rixian would ask as they would look down.

“No, we are going to end up collapsing sooner or later. I’m surprised famines haven’t gone and killed us yet but that’s the power of rationing.” Singson would say as he’d take a drink. “So I assume that means that the university is on the verge of causing a ruckus?”

“No nothing of the sort yet, the students are still in a sense of normalcy but their questioning has intensified. Especially with the influx of refugees, we are going to have to think twice now where to put them, and putting them on university grounds won’t help. I mean the private university across the street is about to do that and it won’t help their students would question why their land is being taken….you know what I’ll take that drink if you don’t mind.”

Singson would pass Rixian a glass and pour some alcohol down into it. “Hm…so far things seem to only get worse before they get better huh?”

“I assume so….” Rixian would take a drink before putting the glass on the table. “Here are some of the proposals that were written up on how to deal with the refugees so far but more refugees into the Federal Capital Region will not help our situation with a population edging on mass protests.”

“I know…I know…also I recommend you pass this information on to the university if you don’t mind” Singson would pass a Department of Health file on to Rixian.

“Bioweapons file? Why?” Rixian would ask perplexed.

“One of the sides in that war created some bloodthirsty monsters. Considering the edginess of some kids not to mention how these creatures can blend in and cause issues. I think it’s best you read it and also pass it to the board of regents in the university when you can. Especially since we have to start work on quarantines and such soon.” The congressman would grin.

“Heh…well wouldn’t that just be a repeat of the mass quarantine situation we had with a certain flu like virus that fucked with the lungs more or less in terms of protocol?”

“No….there's a high likelihood we might need to initiate termination of people down the line. That or start terminating refugees bit by bit if need be.” The Congressman would grimly mention.

“You know that can't be right. We are essentially a last hope for so many people. What happened with the Alianza? The party coalition that was meant to be humane and such?!” Rixian would get up and show is visible anger.

“And what happens when our country no longer exists because of that and becomes part of the war. What then? A few sacrifices make more sense than surrendering everything.” Singson would say as he would take another drink.

“....I hate that you're right to a degree…still there should be another solution, not just this bloodthirsty one that these monsters you complain of. Talk about hypocrisy.” Rixian would say as he's turn his back around. “I'll still bring this to the university so they may prepare.”

“....I know…you're right on that end but again what choice do we have. That and you're not where I am yet, you're still more or less a bureaucrat. Not the man in the room where it happens. You'll find out sooner or later say the least.” The congressman would sigh soon after. “Well then just go ahead for now, I got some other committee hearings and papers to go through soon so our talk will have to be cut short.”

“Understandable…have a good day sir.” Rixian would state before walking out and closing the door taking the file with him.

—------

“You have now arrived at: Federal University of Malayka”, “You have now arrived at: Federal University of Malayka”, “Ya has llegado a:Unibersidad Federal de Malayka”, “Nakarating ka na ngayon sa: Unibersidad Federal de Malayka”

The Federal University of Malayka, the government’s state university. Known to be the highest house of education in the country. The university has an atmosphere of its origins found in the times of post-colonial realities and modernism, making the university a truly modernist yet classical university. It’s student culture is one of extensive background and wealth in the sense of social awareness and knowledge in dealing with issues. As such it is only natural that such a place like this produced some of the greatest minds in the nation, including Presidents, Chief Justices, and Lawmakers.

But now these days it’s a place as gloomy as the rest of the nation surrounded by a precarious situation. The state university is bordered by another prestigious but private university the Athenum University. Both having a rich culture of social activism and consciousness. But in where the state denied to house refugees in a place of education, the Athenum did not. At the same time, the students of the Athenum seemed to become far more approachable and advocated for a path of allowing more refugees in, though admittedly they do forget that the state can only take so much in. A good contrast to what is a comparison of the establishment versus the ones who push the establishment. Though admittedly there was a time before when those roles were reversed, but now these two universities represent both sides of a society that has compassion but yet still aware that said compassion can be abused.

The grounds of the university were still clean though admittedly the signs of protest and discontent were all over the school. Even if those signs were removed, they’d just come back in full force after a week or less, making it pointless to keep cleaning up. The train station is right beside such a university and the avenue to it was clear to walk on. Leaving Rixian to just head to the place he needed to go to the university quickly and drop off the report or maybe meet with the Board of Regents if they were all there today.

Being the Congressional Representative to the university is what Rixian was given as a job while in university. Technically speaking he hasn’t been able to even complete his degree and fully graduate because of the busy schedule of being a Congressional Representative. But if it meant climbing the ranks of the political structure, so be it; it gets them somewhere.

It would take a bit of a walk but they would arrive at the University’s administrative office located in the center. Right outside, the university’s military honor guard was practicing drills and marching. Their uniforms were all white with minor flare details here and there and a pickelhaube helmet that was all in white with the logo of the university in the center of the helmet’s front.

As Rixian arrived, the honor guards would come into formation and salute them. “Congress Representative is here, attention!” One of the officers would shout as the honor guard would be then at arms. Rixian walked towards them saluting back and nodding their head. “Don’t need the pomp and circumstance now. So how has it been going Arcebo?” Rixian would ask, facing the officer who shouted their title, the officer breaking off from his formality and walking casually to Rixian. “Doing well so far, admittedly how do you like our formation?” the officer would ask.

“You and your folks are doing well. Admittedly let me ask, were you doing that to shame me in some capacity?” Rixian would inquire to Arcebo. “Yes, I wanted to make the cadets know who you are but also just make you feel out of place, I know you don’t like being the center of it all, not unless you want to be the center at that given time.” Rixian would only scoff.

“Well then, alright, best continue on, at least you’re only doing drills now and not yet needing to mobilize.” they would remark before turning and walking away, only to have a hand placed on their shoulder. “I wish what you say remains true, I’ve gotten word that we might mobilize next week for all we know.” Rixian turned around and looked at their friend. “Honestly I hope that’s just a preparatory drill type of thing, I’m sure you’ll do fine. I got some paperwork to submit, you best just hope things go well.” Arcebo would only react with a nod before walking away and getting his cadets back in formation, letting Rixian walk off into the building.

Inside the administrative building, the lobby was one with the typical flavor of neo-classicalism mixed in with art deco. In the center was the statue of the first university president, a foreigner who wasn’t even a Malaykan. Said foreigner was part of the colonial mission that once had occupied the nation but now it has gone to be lost in history. Rixian would just walk past as they took the stairs to head to the Board of Regents offices, mainly heading to the university president’s office first.

Once Rixian arrived, the office had a chime go off as there was one that was hanging behind the door nob, announcing the arrival of someone. The secretary of the university president would take a look and welcome Rixian. “Ah, Rixian, I believe you’re dropping off something from the Congress?” she would mention the file Rixian was carrying. “Yes, though if the university president is here I’d like to talk with him.” The secretary would momentarily look to her back and walking to the door opening the office where the university president is, mentioning that Rixian would like to speak with the president. With a nod of approval the secretary would fully open the door and let Rixian walk in.

“Ah, representative, how do you do? I believe that is a paper for me from the congress?” the university president would ask as he stood up to offer a handshake which Rixian would accept. “Yes sir it is, it’s about a possible biohazard that the university needs to prepare for just in case.” Rixian would reply, the president soon taking the file once offered to him and reading it as Rixian would take a seat in front of his desk.

“....Goodness….honestly I don’t know what is worse. The fact someone decided to make such horrors become reality, or the fact that we are perhaps the last neutral nation at this rate that hasn’t been attacked.” The university president would speak. “Tell me Rixian, what exactly will happen when one side or the other attacks. Or if we fall from within?”

“I assume we will suffer the worse faith possible for being the most uninvolved, but then again perhaps not. It’s a paradox of if being inactive was right or not.” Rixian would reply, impressing the university president. “Yes I would assume that would be the case now, surprisingly you didn’t go to the old argument that’d we’d have to ally with one or the other. Why is that?” the old man would ask

“Because sir, I don’t believe either side is good, nor at the same time do I believe one side or the other would prefer to be our allies. I have a feeling they might destroy us from within first and put us on the brink of civil war. Divide the nation to conquer half of it already for both sides.” Rixian would say ever so cynically.

“A valid observation, especially for someone who is…related to the powers at be in some sense.” the old man would say before Rixian would bite his teeth together under his closed mouth.

“Any how, I will be sure to keep an eye on this especially for the safety of our own…more…what was the lingo used for it. Edgy and emo was it. Yes, our edgy and emo students who might find such disease as…appealling for their deprivaties. I assume you feel the same no?” Asking Rixian before Rixian would say: “Yes Sir.”

To which soon enough he would be let out of the room by the university president. Letting Rixian leave to deal with the rest of their day.

—----

Hours later….

“Well you know how it goes getting a job in this economy is not going to be easy but at least I get a degree!” someone would say before getting a reply. “Well hey if ever I can always hire you for my company if you want.” another person would reply.

The place was a condominium, the people here were celebrating a reunion of the high school class who attended their school, along with some plus ones here and there. Rixian would be there as well, as a classmate who attended that class, but if there’s one thing that Rixian had going for them.

It was that they were always alone. Even when with friends they were always alone and always had this lonesome complex. The inability to feel as part of a group of people, akin to if not a complete imposter syndrome would always be haunting to them. But that was caused by another issue and not inherently about the group of friends that was here. Though these friends were always open, consciously or not, they often left out Rixian, only adding to their loneliness.

Leaning on the glass window that would have the view of the city, Rixian would just drink their champagne ever so lonely and moody. Admittedly if anyone did try to replicate what they were doing, they wouldn’t look as edgy or cool. But at the same time, they didn’t weigh the country behind their backs not to mention the ever-looming world war which Malayka has barely avoided for the most part. But yet no one knows what the future will bring.

Soon enough a close friend would come up, she would just stand right in front of Rixian, copying their pose. “...Hm, ever moody again are we?” she would ask as Rixian would just look and squint for a moment. “Hm, yeah no fair enough on calling me out. So what do you want exactly?”

“Cmon, it’s a party.” The girl would say as she would tease him. “Has being moody ever been the solution to get things done and enjoy life?” She would ask as she would pat Rixian on the shoulder.

“No not really, but it gets me on the path to it…heh” Rixian would reply making the girl just give a disapproving look to Rixian. “I know I know, you would rather not let me be like this sulking in this mess of a mind and body but at the same time, let’s be real here, you think any of this is going to change what is happening down there?” Rixian would ask with the girl looking mildly disturbed.

“No, I don’t think it will but I know for a fact it is important to have something like this to keep your mind off…the more destructive tendencies people have. Like what you are doing now.” She would say pointing at him with her glass of champagne.

“Fair enough, so what exactly is the occasion again?” Rixian would say sarcastically.

“Oh for crying out loud don’t be so distant, it’s a reunion for a reason not a place where you can just go to one corner and be edgy.” the girl would reply.

“I know, I know, but seriously Bell, do you really think there’s anything else I can do here? I mean you’re literally the only one who is close to them and that’s because they want to be close to you. I on the other hand am the rebellious type who cannot exactly meet well into society’s norms because well, I rather not.” Rixian would explain with a sigh.

Bell would look at Rixian again disapprovingly. “If I remember you’re the one more extroverted and with a protagonistic syndrome, I think you are the one more in line to get along with these people then I am. You know this, I mean you made the entire school your friends after all.” She would say putting her arm around Rixian.

“At times I wonder if I shouldn’t have done that.” Rixian would reply looking into his glass.

“Why is that?” Bell would ask

“...It’s the things we love the most that hurt us you know.” Rixian would reply to Bell as they would look at her and then at the skyline outside.

“Don’t give me that.” Bell would reply as she would put her head on Rixian’s shoulders

“Am I wrong tho?” “Rixian would reply”
“No…it’s just being right always doesn’t make it good for others to know or feel, you know what I mean.” She would say as she would then begin to nudge and drag Rixian back into the more active areas of the party.

“...I know…and I know what you’re trying to do.” Rixian would say with a grin on their face as they attempted to nudge back but not as violently as Bell did to provide some sense of resistance to the idea of going back into the crowd, but she would ignore it and bring the two of them up back to the party’s life.

There it would be all the folks they knew from their time in High School, some having graduated, some bringing their special other, and some still in class. Among them all they didn’t take life as too seriously when in appearance, they were care free around those they could remain carefree around.

Unfortunately, Rixian on the other hand would be the type who would be against this, ever since his time with them as a classmate since grade school. All Rixian ever was is the guy who had some sort of plan in his head and was always making and preparing themselves for something at any given time. This however contributed to Rixian’s inability to enjoy the moment often as his critical mind kept on looking mildly contemptuous at the world as a whole, not out of envy but out of concern.

The group would be talking about all sorts of things that Rixian wouldn’t have a single clue on, primarily because as much as he befriended all of them. They weren’t exactly as close as Bell was to them or to Rixian themself. But that was due to the fact that they left Rixian out a lot as well and Rixian couldn’t exactly fit the mold always either.

Instead the existence of Rixian in the friend group was honestly to be that more saner mind, the type to know what is there to know out there. The one person who you could depend on being the one knowledgeable at least remotely on some subject.

It didn’t take long for that trait to come into use once more as one of their friends would end up asking a particular question. “Are we going to war soon?”. It wouldn’t take a minute before some people would have their eyes gazed at the one nerd who had that type of information and who was interested in all sorts of those things….it was like parents saying a child’s name asking kindly but with authority a question.

To Rixian, he knew the answer, it all depended on the circumstances and it was a high probability at this point that the country they all held dear and loved would enter this war. But not for the reasons that they may all think of. However an answer must be delivered for a crowd anticipating one.

“Honestly, if I had to take a look at things, coming from someone within the government. At the moment it is unlikely. But who knows, you can never tell, our agreements and friendships with everyone left us in a remarkable position of being untouched. At the same time, however, this made us the envy of the world, and now all pressure is on us.” Rixian would explain, essentially detailing the matter as he would in his work.

Everyone would be silent for a moment before someone would crack a light hearted joke but all that ran through Rixian’s head was simply the pains of an endless future that is waiting to go wrong until someone would put their hand on their shoulder.

“Look….the only thing I guess there is to say….is….do not forget us when the time comes. Okay?” one of Rixian’s friends would say as they would momentarily phase back into reality.

Do not forget, do not forget, do not forget, do not forget. A phrase powerful enough to make someone realize the situation has gone completely out of anyone’s control. Now it’s just a matter of waiting to see if the world will collapse on this part of the world that has remained ever so stubborn to join the war.

Rixian would momentarily look up to their friend. “Yes….I hope I won’t” they would say before the conversation would be taken away once more to less serious topics and alcohol to avoid the looming sword waiting to strike them all down from the sky.

Unfortunately…alcohol and discussion can only avoid the world’s looming threats only for a short while.

It did not take longer after several topics had come into pass before someone would arrive at the venue bringing news that required Rixian’s attention. At the ground floor, a military escort would await, bearing the symbol of the Republican Guard, the Presidential Security Force element of the Guard.

Soldiers would be armed and at the ready, no longer wearing their formal uniform, only their officer who would be let in after a scuffle between the military personnel and the venue’s managers and security.

The host, a friend of Rixian as well who was a high school classmate would encounter these personnel. The officer would let himself in pushing her aside and coming into the room. Looking about and then walking directly to Rixian. The officer was a towering man, somewhere close to 6 ft in comparison to Rixian’s 5’6.

He would stop for a moment and salute Rixian before putting his peak cap down from his head and putting it in his arm.

“Sir, a request has been put in by the Chief of Staff of the President. You are requested to head to the Presidential Palace at once to discuss with the Chief of Staff on a serious matter. An escort is downstairs waiting for you.”

The officer, a rank of Major would say to Rixian. Rixian for a moment would just be silent and not say a word. An officer of this ranking being here only meant the matter was serious enough to call not just Rixian but the Major and the military escort. Rixian would look serious, grim and depressed all in one look, it was the look of a man deep in thought and everyone in the room knew it. For a moment Rixian would look outside to see the glass and the view of the city from the glass before looking at Bell.

“....Go, I know you have a lot to do and you have to go save the world, or rather our nation from whatever. Just please be careful.” She would say as she would hold Rixian’s hand and then hug them.

Rixian would hug back, momentarily whispering something as well. “And remind me, to not forget.” Rixian would say before they would let go and face the officer and walk with the man to begin heading downstairs.

The party crowd would just watch as they could see their friend perhaps being the one with the most burden in the room. It is quite unfortunate that they could not do much, and those who were close to Rixian would be worried and to some, this would be the last time they would see their friend up close and even remotely happy in a really really long time, if not ever again.

Once at the elevator, the officer would hand Rixian a phone that would have the noted text of the following. “The President is dead, an emergency meeting has been called for by the Chief of Staff.” Once the elevator door opened to let them out Rixian would hand the phone back before they would walk to the vehicle supported by a military escort.

When they got inside, Rixian would for a moment ask a question to the Major. “So….who knows, do the men of this escort know?” Rixian would ask the Major. The Major would reply with a yes. “So, how bad has it gotten do you know the cause?” The Major would reply with a no.

This would only reaffirm the worst has yet to come.